The Surgery prides itself in maintaining professional standards. For certain examinations during consultations an impartial observer (a “Chaperone”).
This impartial observer will be familiar with the procedure and be available to reassure and raise any concerns on your behalf. If unavailable at the time of your consultation then your examination may be rescheduled for another time.
You are free to decline any examination or chose an alternative examiner or chaperone. You may also request a chaperone for any examination or consultation if one is not offered to you. The GP may not undertake an examination if a chaperone is declined.
The role of a Chaperone:
- Maintains professional boundaries during intimate examinations.
- Acknowledges a patient’s vulnerability.
- Provides emotional comfort and reassurance.
- Assists in the examination.
- Assists with undressing patients, if required.